Royal Victoria Hospital
RVH offers an intensive unit in the spring/summer and an extended unit in the fall/winter. The Program combines students working at both a basic and an advanced level in preparation for certification as a spiritual care and counselling specialist with the Canadian Association of Spiritual Care. Participants will gain clinical experience in a variety of medical area including: Cancer and Palliative Care, Cardiac and Renal Care, Mental Health and Addictions, Intensive Care Unit, and Specialized Senior Care.
The program is of interest to:
· Seminary students seeking field education experience (contextual education)
· Faith Leaders who would like to further develop their spiritual care-giving skills
· Healthcare professionals committed to the spiritual aspect of health
· Acquire skills in spiritual assessment, planning and intervention
· Develop safe and effective use of self and strengthen self-awareness
· Function as a spiritual care interns at Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
Each unit will have space for four students.
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH) is located in Barrie, Ontario, situated one hour north of Toronto at the gateway to cottage country. RVH is the largest health centre in the Simcoe Muskoka region with 400+ acute care beds and a regional cancer center for both chemotherapy and radiation. RVH supports an extensive out-patient mental health program and withdrawal management program. The area is home to more than 450,000 residents, with 40 per centre of RVH’s patients living outside of the City of Barrie. It has approximately 4000 staff members. RVH has been serving the Barrie area since 1897. The hospital was rebuilt on a new site twenty years ago beside Georgian College which offers many healthcare related training programs.
In 2012, RVH doubled in size to meet the tremendous growth in population and healthcare needs. The expanded centre includes specialty focus on Cardiac Care, Respiratory Care, children and Adolescent Mental Health, and Specialized Senior’s care, alongside of acute care focus on trauma, surgery and palliation. The hospital’s vision statement is Make each life better. Together. There are tremendous opportunities for clinical spiritual care experience on acute care units, mental health and within the cancer program.
RVH has a strong commitment to learning. It has designed the Spiritual Care Program to welcome SPE students.
· Ability to participate as a full member of the healthcare team on several acute care units
· Excellent opportunities for inter-professional learning through in-services
· Opportunity to support staff and learn about critical incident stress debriefing
· Opportunity to see the relationship between community faith leaders and hospital spiritual care
· Preparation for certification with the Canadian Association of Spiritual Care and training focused on the competencies for the College of Registered Psychotherapists in Ontario