North York General Hospital
The CASC Supervisors of the Greater Toronto Area offer Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in hospital venues.
Persons interested in knowing more about the centres and supervisors listed here are encouraged to contact the centre by telephone or e-mail. Supervisors are happy to discuss their programs with prospective participants and explain the specific aspects of their programs as they may contribute to the requirements and purposes of the inquiring participant
North York General Hospital (NYGH) is one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals. We provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families, and have proudly served our diverse communities in North Toronto, and beyond, since 1968. NYGH offers a wide range of acute care, ambulatory and long-term care services at three sites: the General site (4001 Leslie Street); the Branson Ambulatory Care Centre (555 Finch Avenue West); and Seniors' Health Centre (2 Buchan Court). Our regional programs serve all of south central Ontario.
The hospital partners with 36 different academic institutions, including the University of Toronto, to prepare future physicians, nurses and other health care professionals to work in interprofessional teams, providing essential care in a community hospital setting. NYGH programs are the training site for four core clerkship programs and we provide a site for core rotations to 22 different University of Toronto Residency Programs. Over 300 North York General physicians have faculty appointments at the University of Toronto. Each year, 1,200 nursing students come here to learn and develop their clinical skills.
Our staff, physicians and volunteers have a history of transforming health care to better serve our patients. We are leaders who adopt the most innovative health information technology, strategists who carefully chart patient flow and find ways to reduce wait times, and visionaries who dream of, and work towards, the ideal patient experience. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest care. We put our patients first in everything we do.
Leaders in patient- and family-centred care
· As a learning organization, NYGH is committed to developing its people. Through a commitment to a “just culture” we support each person on their journey to be the best they can be, focusing on delivering excellent patient care and high-quality service.
· NYGH is home to one of the largest Family and Community Medicine programs in Canada with over 380 community family physicians credentialed with the hospital.
· North York General's obstetrical centre is one of the largest single site centres in Ontario and each year we celebrate the birth of over 5,800 babies.
· NYGH has one of Ontario's largest regional genetics centres with a strong family-focused approach to patient care.
· The Mental Health Program at NYGH boasts comprehensive mental health services, partnering with over 25 community organizations and widespread community outreach, resulting in best practices in continuity of care.
· Exceptional care provided to over 500 premature or critically ill babies each year in NYGH's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
· Reduced wait times through the Gale and Graham Wright Prostate Centre – one of the only prostate centres in Toronto.
· One of the most visited emergency departments in Canada.
· A unique model of care at the Freeman Centre for the Advancement of Palliative Care.